Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Dental crowns are needed when a person's teeth are weak or severely stained. Drs. Robert Dawe and Evan Fiedler of Granville Dental serves patients with crowns in several areas: Granville, Peru, Spring Valley, Princeton, Oglesby, and La Salle, IL.
What are dental crowns?
Crowns are synthetic caps, made of porcelain-like material, that when placed on top of a tooth restores function and appearance. Crowns are custom made so they look just like your natural teeth. The crown will have the same color, shape, and length of other teeth to properly blend in and rejuvenate your smile.
When are dental crowns needed?
Crowns are a restorative and aesthetic procedure. The family dentists in Granville, IL, and serving Peru, Spring Valley, Princeton, La Salle, and Oglesby, IL, can provide crowns and fix issues like:
- Crowns protect sensitive teeth that have undergone serious procedures like a root canal or dental implant.
- In cases of extreme tooth decay, your family dentist removes large portions of the tooth and crowns are used to reinforce the weakened tooth.
- Crowns are also used for other procedures like attaching bridges
- Crowns cover cracked, fractured, and chipped teeth to protect them from further damage and improve the appearance of your smile.
- If there's a loose tooth filling, then a crown can prevent that filling from becoming completely dislodged.
- Severely discolored and stained teeth aren't an attractive look but crowns do a great job of hiding those imperfections.
Caring for Crowns
Good quality crowns last up to eight years or longer if properly care for. They don't require special treatment, just the proper oral regimen. Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and floss every night before bed.
If you have a bad habit of grinding your teeth, tell your family dentist so that they can provide you with a retainer. Additionally, avoid eating hard food that may break your crowns.
Dental crowns are a great solution and preventative measure. Drs. Robert Dawe and Evan Fiedler of Granville Dental provide patients with crowns in several areas like Granville, Peru, Spring Valley, Princeton, Oglesby, and La Salle, IL. If you have any questions, just call Granville Dental at (815) 339-6888 today!
Learn more about dental implants and how they could replace your missing teeth.
If you are currently dealing with tooth loss, then Dr. Evan Fiedler and Dr. Robert Dawe here at Granville Dental, LLC in Granville, IL, can talk to you about your treatment options. Today, one of the most popular choices are restorative dental implants. Read on to learn more about dental implants and whether they could be right for you!
What is a dental implant?
While we don’t see the roots of our teeth, they are still necessary for general tooth support and overall oral health. Therefore, when a tooth falls out or is extracted, the implant is designed to replace the missing tooth roots. An implant is a metal titanium post that is placed within the jawbone where over the course of 3-6 months the bone and implant will naturally fuse together. Once this occurs, the implant is designed to last decades.
Who is a good candidate for restorative dental implants?
No matter if you are missing one, two, several or an entire row of teeth, dental implants may be right for you. Those dealing with tooth loss caused by gum disease, cavities, or injury can all benefit from implants, for they fill the gaps in your smile with the next best thing to real teeth.
Implants both act and feel like a natural tooth. Even current denture wearers can talk to our cosmetic dentist about receiving dental implants, which can support your dentures and ensure that they don’t move or shift around when talking or eating.
Since you will need to undergo surgery in order to receive a dental implant, our dentist will need to make sure that you are in good health. This means going through your medical history and determining if there are any preexisting or chronic health problems that could impact your recovery process or treatment.
We will also perform an oral exam and take X-rays to check the health of your teeth, gums, and jawbone. It’s important that we check the health of your jawbone to make sure that it is strong enough to support an implant.
Interested? Give us a call
If you are an adult who is missing one or more teeth in Granville, IL, then it’s time to talk with a dentist you trust to find out if restorative dental implants are right for you. Schedule a consultation with Granville Dental today by calling (815) 339-6888.
Preventative care is extremely important when it comes to your child's teeth. Choosing family dentists like Dr. Evan Fiedler and Dr. Robert Dawe in Granville, IL, and serving Oglesby, IL, is the first step to ensuring your child's teeth are protected against decay and gum disease. Sealants, a liquid coating applied onto chewing surfaces of teeth, are effective in preventing cavities.
"Thorough brushing and flossing help remove food particles and plaque from smooth surfaces of teeth. But toothbrush bristles cannot reach all the way into the depressions and grooves to extract food and plaque. Sealants protect these vulnerable areas by 'sealing out' plaque and food," according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
The most important or most susceptible areas to decay and cavities are pits and grooves in teeth. And while brushing, flossing, using fluoride-containing, and maintaining a healthy diet may help reduce the chances that your child will develop a cavity, sealants provide teeth with that added barrier that prevents bacteria from infiltrating teeth through those accessible crevices, and breaking down teeth.
Sealants, which were actually were developed about 50 years ago, became more common in the 1970's. Today, sealants are a common dental practice for adults and young children.
Those hard-to-reach molars and children's difficulty maintaining proper oral hygiene while so young, makes their teeth targets for bacteria.
Your dentist serving Granville and Oglesby, IL, applies dental sealants in a few simple steps:
- Your family dentist first cleans the surface of your teeth.
- Then he etches, roughens, the tooth surface using a chemical substance. This allows the sealant to adhere more properly on the tooth surface.
- After applying the sealant, a special light source is directed on the sealant to harden it.
- The process is repeated again and need re-application every five to 10 years.
If you have any questions or concerns about dental sealants for your child, please don't hesitate to reach out to your Granville, IL, family dentists, serving Oglesby, IL, Dr. Evan Fiedler and Dr. Robert Dawe , today!
When it comes to fillings, silver is out and tooth-colored is in! Tooth-colored fillings aren't just more attractive, but they offer several important advantages for your teeth, as well. Here at Granville Dental, LLC, in Granville, IL, your family dentists, Drs. Robert Dawe and Evan Fiedler, offer fillings for patients in the entire Oglesby, Peru, Spring Valley, Princeton, and LaSalle areas—read on to learn more!
How tooth-colored fillings can help your smile
Tooth-colored fillings can:
- Improve the Appearance of Your Smile: No one will be able to tell that you have any fillings, thanks to the natural appearance of tooth-colored fillings. The fillings are made of composite resin, a flexible material that's tinted to match common tooth shades.
- Protect Your Teeth: Fillings require removal of a ring of healthy tooth structure around the decayed portion. Although this step is necessary, the more healthy structure that is removed, the weaker your tooth becomes. Unlike silver amalgam fillings, tooth-colored fillings only require removal of a small amount of healthy structure.
- Strengthen Your Teeth: After your Granville dentist adds the soft composite resin, he uses a curing light to harden the material. As the resin hardens, it bonds to your tooth, strengthening it.
- Reduce the Risk of Cracks: Like all metals, silver amalgam expands and contracts when it's exposed to hot and cold temperatures. Over time, constant expansion and contraction can eventually crack teeth. Cracks increase the risk of fractures and new decay in the tooth. Tooth-colored fillings remain the same size when you eat and drink hot and cold beverages and don't crack teeth.
- Prevent Color Changes: After a while, silver amalgam fillings may make teeth look darker, particularly if the filling is large. Composite resin fillings won't change the color of your teeth.
Give us a call
Protect and enhance your smile with tooth-colored fillings! Call your Granville, IL family dentists, Drs. Robert Dawe and Evan Fiedler, at (815) 339-6888 to schedule an appointment.
Finding the time to schedule an appointment with the dentist can be a struggle for busy adults. But getting to the dentist for the initial appointment is only the first step in many cases, depending on the type of work that needs to be done. But you don't have to put off necessary dental work or repairs due to lack of time thanks to single visit (also known as same day) crowns. Single visit crowns use modern digital technology to make it possible to design and fit dental crowns onsite in a single appointment. Dr. Robert Dawe and Dr. Evan Fiedler, the dentists at Granville Dental in Granville, IL offer same day crowns and other cosmetic and restorative dentistry services.
If your dentist determines that you need a dental crown to repair a badly decayed, fractured, or cosmetically damaged tooth, the process usually involves digital imaging and software so that the dentist can prepare the crown in the office while you wait.
In addition to saving time and money by reducing the number of dental visits, single visit crowns have a number of additional benefits including:
- Taking digital images to design the crowns using CAD/CAM software instead of using a physical impression to create the mold makes the process less invasive
- Eliminate the need for temporary crowns
- Use natural looking and modern materials
- Strong and durable
- immediate relief and care in dental emergencies and accidents
Find a Family Dentist in Granville, IL
For more information about single visit or same day crowns, contact Granville Dental in Granville, IL and serving the Peru, Spring Valley, Princeton, Oglesby, and La Salle, IL areas by calling 815-339-6888 today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Dawe or Dr. Fiedler.