Posts for category: Family Dentistry
Your family dentists at Granville Dental in Granville, IL and serving the serving Oglesby, LaSalle and Peru areas, are passionate about preventive care, and they need your help. As a parent, you play a key role in teaching your children proper dental care. At your family dental visit, Dr. Evan Fiedler and Dr. Robert Dawe will outline ways you can make oral health care fun for your kids.
Avoiding tooth decay
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that 20 percent of elementary school children have one or more untreated dental cavities. Accordingly, oral health care must start after when the first baby tooth arrives. Yes, toxic plaque and the bacteria it contains targets that new little tooth.
So, parents, brush (using small circular strokes) young teeth with a soft, baby-sized brush and a smear of non-fluoride toothpaste. Start using fluoride toothpaste when your child is three to four years old.
As your child matures, supervise and model those important brushing and flossing habits. Floss too, to keep ahead of plaque and tartar.
Additionally, model and promote healthy eating:
- Offer fruits and vegetables and high grain cereals and breads.
- Push water, as good hydration increases saliva and washes tooth surfaces clean (most municipal water supplies contain fluoride to optimize anti-cavity protection).
- Reduce all sugars and carbohydrates.
- Make sure your child gets dairy products daily. They provide important calcium and protein and also buffer the acids which other foods contain.
Other things you should teach
1. Young athletes must wear their mouth guards consistently when playing sports.
2. Good habits bring tangible rewards. In other words, set up a sticker chart or other reward system for consistent brushing and flossing.
3. Use a timer on your phone to ensure your child is brushing for a full two minutes. Or, play a short, happy song while he or she brushes.
About dental visits
Every member of your family should visit Granville Dental in Granville semi-annually. Your hygienist will perform a thorough and refreshing cleaning and take X-rays. Your family dentist will do a complete oral exam, looking for decay and gum disease, proper dental bite and jaw development, and more.
At Granville Dental, Dr. Fiedler and Dr. Dawe, and their team are experts in helping kids enjoy their office visits. Our treatment rooms are comfortable, bright, and kid-friendly. And your dentist offers easy preventive treatments, such as fluoride varnishes and plastic sealants, to protect young teeth even more.
Parents, encourage your kids to think that trips to the dental office can be fun. At Granville Dental, your dedicated team makes sure that they are.
It starts at home
Parents are their children's first and best teachers. At Granville Dental in Granville, IL, and serving Oglesby, LaSalle and Peru, IL, Dr. Fiedler and Dr. Dawe are here to help you and your family have great-looking, long-lasting smiles. Call us today for your next dental visit or if you have any concern whatsoever about your child's oral health. Phone (815) 339-6888.