Posts for: August, 2019
When it comes to fillings, silver is out and tooth-colored is in! Tooth-colored fillings aren't just more attractive, but they offer several important advantages for your teeth, as well. Here at Granville Dental, LLC, in Granville, IL, your family dentists, Drs. Robert Dawe and Evan Fiedler, offer fillings for patients in the entire Oglesby, Peru, Spring Valley, Princeton, and LaSalle areas—read on to learn more!
How tooth-colored fillings can help your smile
Tooth-colored fillings can:
- Improve the Appearance of Your Smile: No one will be able to tell that you have any fillings, thanks to the natural appearance of tooth-colored fillings. The fillings are made of composite resin, a flexible material that's tinted to match common tooth shades.
- Protect Your Teeth: Fillings require removal of a ring of healthy tooth structure around the decayed portion. Although this step is necessary, the more healthy structure that is removed, the weaker your tooth becomes. Unlike silver amalgam fillings, tooth-colored fillings only require removal of a small amount of healthy structure.
- Strengthen Your Teeth: After your Granville dentist adds the soft composite resin, he uses a curing light to harden the material. As the resin hardens, it bonds to your tooth, strengthening it.
- Reduce the Risk of Cracks: Like all metals, silver amalgam expands and contracts when it's exposed to hot and cold temperatures. Over time, constant expansion and contraction can eventually crack teeth. Cracks increase the risk of fractures and new decay in the tooth. Tooth-colored fillings remain the same size when you eat and drink hot and cold beverages and don't crack teeth.
- Prevent Color Changes: After a while, silver amalgam fillings may make teeth look darker, particularly if the filling is large. Composite resin fillings won't change the color of your teeth.
Give us a call
Protect and enhance your smile with tooth-colored fillings! Call your Granville, IL family dentists, Drs. Robert Dawe and Evan Fiedler, at (815) 339-6888 to schedule an appointment.