Dental crowns are needed when a person's teeth are weak or severely stained. Drs. Robert Dawe and Evan Fiedler of Granville Dental serves patients with crowns in several areas: Granville, Peru, Spring Valley, Princeton, Oglesby, and La Salle, IL.
What are dental crowns?
Crowns are synthetic caps, made of porcelain-like material, that when placed on top of a tooth restores function and appearance. Crowns are custom made so they look just like your natural teeth. The crown will have the same color, shape, and length of other teeth to properly blend in and rejuvenate your smile.
When are dental crowns needed?
Crowns are a restorative and aesthetic procedure. The family dentists in Granville, IL, and serving Peru, Spring Valley, Princeton, La Salle, and Oglesby, IL, can provide crowns and fix issues like:
- Crowns protect sensitive teeth that have undergone serious procedures like a root canal or dental implant.
- In cases of extreme tooth decay, your family dentist removes large portions of the tooth and crowns are used to reinforce the weakened tooth.
- Crowns are also used for other procedures like attaching bridges
- Crowns cover cracked, fractured, and chipped teeth to protect them from further damage and improve the appearance of your smile.
- If there's a loose tooth filling, then a crown can prevent that filling from becoming completely dislodged.
- Severely discolored and stained teeth aren't an attractive look but crowns do a great job of hiding those imperfections.
Caring for Crowns
Good quality crowns last up to eight years or longer if properly care for. They don't require special treatment, just the proper oral regimen. Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and floss every night before bed.
If you have a bad habit of grinding your teeth, tell your family dentist so that they can provide you with a retainer. Additionally, avoid eating hard food that may break your crowns.
Dental crowns are a great solution and preventative measure. Drs. Robert Dawe and Evan Fiedler of Granville Dental provide patients with crowns in several areas like Granville, Peru, Spring Valley, Princeton, Oglesby, and La Salle, IL. If you have any questions, just call Granville Dental at (815) 339-6888 today!